Warning: include_once(/homepages/31/d168059811/htdocs/ntc/wp-content/plugins/youtuber/youtuber.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /homepages/31/d168059811/htdocs/ntc/wp-settings.php on line 175

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/homepages/31/d168059811/htdocs/ntc/wp-content/plugins/youtuber/youtuber.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php5.2') in /homepages/31/d168059811/htdocs/ntc/wp-settings.php on line 175
News to Chew | refrigerator

News to Chew

Taking a bite out of the world of food and food news
Subscribe

Toss your lunch: refrigerator stench sickens 28 office workers

May 13, 2009 By: admin Category: Food News

So, chances are you’ve worked in an office or workplace with a common refrigerator to keep your lunch or leftovers. And chances are that very refrigerator didn’t get cleaned out very often and started cultivating new strains of mold and aromas. Even so, it’s a wonder your co-workers would continue to put edible foodstuff in the fridge only to see it become inedible.

But an AT&T call center in San Jose takes the cake in grossness. Sickeningly. Literally.

The stench from the office refrigerator became so bad that a worker decided to take the initiative and clean out the grimy fridge (the offending food items have yet to be identified). And that’s when all hell broke out. Using cleaning fluids like 409 or Lysol, the stench combined with the cleaners caused a chemical reaction that brought the building to its knees.

According to a report from the San Jose Mercury News:

It finally became so unbearable that the San Jose Fire Department’s hazmat team was summoned to the North First Street office complex just before lunchtime…In the end, 325 AT&T employees poured out to a parking lot that was the company’s designated evacuation site. A total of 50 firefighters and 18 emergency vehicles raced to the scene. Seven employees, who were vomiting or complaining of nausea, were treated at area hospitals…Twenty-eight people with functioning noses had to be checked out by paramedics after they were overcome by fumes.

The best part? The worker who caused all the retching because of her good intentions to clean the mess wasn’t even affected – she can’t smell because of nasal surgery to treat allergies. Really.

Just some news to chew on.